The Commander's Bookshelf


[This is my attempt to address both Brave New World and The Handmaid's Tale via creative writing.]


The Commander’s Bookshelf

There’s a book on the commander’s bookshelf I want to read. I remember it from school, hurriedly skimming its pages before class.

I do not ask if I can read the book. At first it is because I’m distracted by the other magazines and books the commander offers me. Then it is because I’m worried about what he’ll think. I look instead at the volume he’s chosen for me, an impressive, well-used Latin textbook. Show-off. There are notes scribbled in the margins.

He smiles when he sees them. Schoolboy jokes, he says. My gaze catches on one phrase, scrawled in uneven, adolescent handwriting. Nolite te carborundorum bastardes.

What do they mean? I ask.

He enjoys bestowing knowledge, teaching. Part of that is the power, but part of it's the connection. He's lonely. He taps different phrases. Fac ut vivas. Get a life. He laughs. Now, this one, I won’t repeat in front of you. As for this one. He taps the one I was looking at. Nolite te carborundorum bastardes. Don’t let the bastards get you down. He laughs again, looking pleased with himself.

I feel pressure in my jaw. I want to mimic the syllables, which rhyme and run like music. Not pop. Punk. Later, when I’m alone in my room, staring up at the faint outline of the chandelier in the dark, I do.

***

How about you choose what to read this time? he says.

I’m surprised, although perhaps I shouldn’t be. He was so careful at the beginning, unsure of what he could and couldn't do. But as the days go on, he is becoming more and more confident.

I take the chance. My sister Sara always said I was too impulsive, but sometimes you have no choice. That one, I say, pointing.

It’s his turn to be surprised. I always thought this one was a little silly, he says. But I suppose it’s entertaining. He hands the book to me and I open it. I start at the beginning.

A squat grey building of only thirty-four stories. Over the main entrance the words, Central London Hatchery and Conditioning Centre, and, in a shield, the World State's motto, Community, Identity, Stability.

***

I read, he watches. He doesn’t have to explain. The hunger is always in his eyes. I wonder if I am as obvious when I read as he is when he looks at the light freckles over my cheekbones.

I don’t care about him.

I start out slow, savoring each familiar word, each recognized name. I look at each letter, tracing the serif lines with my eyes. I observe the meanings, but also the shapes themselves, the long swoop of a j, like a woman’s naked neck, now forbidden. Or the end of a sharp hook speared in a fish’s flesh. I've missed all of it, but perhaps most of all the latter; my mother was from Norway. Loaves and Fishes is closed so often, Rita has stopped giving me tokens for it when I go out shopping.

However, as the days go on, I start to feel a sense of urgency not altogether different from when I was reading for class. The story flies, and so do I.

Do you like it? he asks. He still finds it curious that I asked for this book, in particular. It’s frivolous to him.

Yes, I say.

I am nearing the end.

I know what happens.

***

It has been many, many weeks, and I am still not pregnant. Everyone looks at me with a sort of tightness in their gaze. I’m angry in an exhausted way, in a way that looks complacent from the outside.

When the commander summons me again, I don’t want to go. But I do. When I sit down across from him, he smiles. Idiot, I think.

But I won’t let him ruin it for me.

I have been dashing through the book as though pursued. However, as I near the last pages, as I read about the orgy—which seems so incredibly shocking now—I slow to a crawl. I bend my head forward so he can’t see my face. And I read the last line over and over and over.

When I return to my room I feel flushed, I feel feverish, I feel sick. I kneel down by the closet and start scratching with my fingernail. It’s slow and frustrating but something propels me forward. You were always too impulsive, Sara had said.

When I am finished, it must be nearing dawn. I stand, ignoring my aching body. I’ve done it. I have no lighthouse of my own, only a chandelier, but I’ve made my arrows nonetheless. Let my aim be true.

My feet will be compass needles. Right. North, north-east, east, south-east, south, south-south-west. Then left. South-south-west, south, south-east, east…


-Annette

Comments

  1. This is cool! I hadn't thought to compare Brave New World and The Handmaid's Tale in theme much, but the power of literature and loneliness feature strongly in both. The hanging being somewhat important in both books was definitely something I hadn't considered. Also, I like the idea of the Commander keeping Brave New World on his bookshelf--he should know what a dystopia looks like if he's read it, which adds an extra layer of creepiness.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is incredible. It displays the writing style from The Handmaid’s Tale so accurately! It makes sense that the Commander would have a bookshelf of banned books. I loved the reference to Brave New World. In the Commander’s eyes both Gilead and the society from Brave New World must be perfect Utopias!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is so creative! It's interesting to think about the Commander and the people of Gilead having books like Brave New World. The Commander calling Brave New World "silly" is fitting since Gilead contrasts so much from the World Order. For example, whereas the World Order uses soma to control the citizens, Gilead uses force and fear. The Commander would most likely see the society in Brave New World as being unrealistic and unachievable since Gilead has had to turn to threats and violence to suppress the citizens.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so cool! While I had thought about the differences between the New World and the Republic of Gilead, I hadn't thought about what it would look like if the two world were combined into one. I especially love how the Commander has a bunch of banned books- it sounds just like him. I also really like how the Commander described the New World as silly. It draws attention to the important differences between the ways the two worlds are run.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love how you brought BNW into the Handmaiden's Tale. I especially enjoyed how you described the emotions running through each character's mind while they read the book because while Offred is devouring the BNW, the Commander simply finds the novel amusing and "frivolous." I find these emotions telling of the power BNW has over Offred because I think she prefers the solution BNW found to the declining birthrates. In addition the Commander's lack of reaction to the novel demonstrates how callous and unsympathetic he is since he is unable to grasp the harsh reality of life for women in Gilead.

    ReplyDelete
  6. The writing style in this post is so similar to the actual novel that it could pass as a deleted scene. I like how you incorporated BNW's views on dystopia with "The Handmaid's Tale", allowing us to compare and contrast them. It is fascinating that both almost resemble each other to an uncanny degree; almost if it were not for a few fundamental differences in ideology, the two would be identical. I also like how you expand on the plot, giving us insight on how Offred feels and acts about her disappointing fertility status. This was a very creative and interesting read. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The way you combine two writing styles from Brave New World and Handmaid's Tale is compelling. I love how your post explores the Commander's viewpoints towards the World State. The whole idea of expanding on the Commander's Bookshelf is very interesting. Very creative post!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I honestly really enjoyed this. It was crazy interesting. I especially enjoyed the iconic references to either text you include. It was really satisfying for some reason. Like reading the latin phrase, the World State's Motto, and the final compass reference. I'm assuming because the chandelier was still up it was the handmaid before Offred and I was wondering how reasonable it would've been for the commander to be so open to the handmaid simply reading on their own.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really like how you intertwined elements of both BNW and the Handmaid’s Tale in something so creative. I don’t know if capitalizing “I go out shopping“ was intentional but I think that changing font color/size can add an interesting effect in writing. Offered is one of those characters who teeters on the edge of full blown rebellion and I think that you’re really captured that and even expanded on it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oops. That was definitely unintentional. Thanks for pointing it out.

      Delete
  10. This is a very unique blog post and I enjoyed reading it so much. I like how you included some of the iconic bits of both novels including their writing styles. In addition, its interesting to see interaction between two novels that we originally thought were separate. Very creative post!

    ReplyDelete
  11. This is really neat. I like how you've captured the entitlement of the commander and Offred's voice. It makes sense that Offred would like reading Brave New World (seems like something Moira would tease her for), and I think it would give her a bleaker outlook on her life, as you show in the last few lines. I also like that the commander is confused by Offred's choice in book--I don't think he would understand why that novel is important to Offred.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Raine!

      And perhaps I should have been clearer--I wasn't writing from the point of view of the Offred we know in The Handmaid's Tale. It's the "Offred" before her, the one who hangs herself. That's why I mentioned her freckles, showed her scratching "Nolite te carborundorum bastardes" into the cupboard, and implied it was the first time the Commander was privately meeting with one of his Handmaids.

      Delete
  12. This piece is really neat! I especially liked the way you have intertwined the two books. You depicted well the vastly different outlooks of the commander and Offred, with their reactions to the contents of the book. The writing style is so close to the original books too...Very creative and nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This is an incredibly powerful piece of writing. I don't have all that much to say about it, other than that it's really excellent, and gives us some insight into the possible identity of the previous Offred.
    -Sasha

    ReplyDelete
  14. Not going to lie, after reading 1984 for a while, I totally forgot about the style of the The Handmaid's Tale, and I totally forgot about the chapters detailing her experiences with the Commander, so I thought these were just excerpts from the book. Nicely done, you fooled me! I agree with everyone who said it before me, but I really enjoy the way you combine the two styles of writing. And what a plot twist, it took me a little bit to figure out that you're writing from the perspective of the person before Offred, it makes sense as a backstory.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Thoughts on the Brotherhood Pre-Capture and Post-Capture

The Giver vs Brave New World